I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail

Category: Log Page 1 of 3

Haul Out at Seaview

Coming out of the water on the lift!
Out for maintenance. Post with more details will follow.

Finally received our new poly-laminate headsail!

Robert ordered a headsail from Precision Sails (do not purchase from them) at the beginning of 2017. They promised to deliver it by May, in time for the 2017 racing season. They missed it, by months. It just arrive a couple days ago (Jan 2018).  It is shorter than it should be and the foot is two feet longer than it was supposed to be, but it sure does look good up in the rig.

Docked at Blake Island with the Footloose early crew

Motor parts degreasing day

While I have the Yanmar 3GMD motor out of the boat I want to knock off the rust that is slowly creeping in. The paint on the motor is starting to fail, which makes sense after 34+ years of service.

Today I spent a few hours and 10 canisters of brake cleaner getting the build up oil and carbon off the external parts of the motor. There is still quite a bit more left to do but this was a good start.

I only took one picture, but see how much better the transmission looks?!

Motor disassembly and issue finding

Harold, a retired diesel mechanic who has generously donated his shop and knowledge, and I ripped into the motor today. What we found was both better and worse than anticipated.

The Good: All the major internals seem to be in fine condition. The issues seem to be limited to the piston.

The Bad…

We initially thought cylinder 2 had a stuck ring. We pulled that piston out first and sure enough, stuck rings. Stuck pretty good too. Barely a gap in the rings and no movement from them whatsoever. Then we popped out the cylinder 3 piston, whoops stuck rings on this one too! Worse than the first! The rings were stuck in so bad they had to be pried out. There was significant carbon build up in the grooves the rings fit into. Harold showed me a neat trick to use and end of the ring to scoop out the carbon. Made quick work of that.

That was not the extent of the issues though. The bearings and rods looked great. No discoloration on the piston or cylinder sleeve that would indicate overheating or worse. No grooving. However after we cleaned off the piston heads Harold was examining one and found a nasty crack that runs nearly through it, another had a crack forming. I am going to be replacing all three pistons and their rings just to be on the safe side. Because everything else looks so good I will have full confidence in this motor when we get it back into the boat.

While the motor is out I want to get the rust cleaned up and put new engine paint on for protection. That is the next actionable step.

Page 1 of 3

Powered by WordPress & Beards